Editing Blog #2: First draft and revision

 Once I had run out of ideas and ways to improve the video, I exported the project and showed off what I considered my "first draft". My partner watched the mp4 and pointed out the problems he saw. It was mostly things I had noticed as well, but I didn't see anything that could be done. For example, the scene of the main character looking up into the sky was meant to be the last scene in the video, and I had it in the beginning. There was also the problem of having such a long take of walking along the road, even including the beginning portion before he starts walking. So I got in a call with him, sharing my screen, and we began to discuss how to fix these issues.

The problem with putting a scene from the beginning to the end is that the two "halves" of the video are densely packed, as the 1:00 mark is strict and there aren't many seconds of footage to be cut out. If I were to move a 5 second scene to the end, the half before the climax would need 5 seconds to fill, as the flashbacks take up most of the second half already. There was a solution given to me, however, as I was given the extra angles and footage from the 20 seconds walking scene. This would allow the space to be filled in the first half with the walk cycle from different angles, which solves two problems at once. Cutting and adding parts from the same shot was difficult however, and it took a while to make them stretch and fill enough time. Something that did make it into the final product was when the shadowy figure runs up early, and in the next shot runs up again. Mainly to fill time, this kind of creates a continuity error between shots, but my partner says that it is ok and adds "shock factor". I think it was the right thing to stretch the little amount of footage to 30 seconds, but I do feel like the scene lost a bit of it's impact as it doesn't follow the music as well as it did before. 

The different angles for the long walking scene were from the front, from the back and from the side. The one from the front was the one I've been using, and the one from the back is generally the same except it starts a little later so there's less time to work with. For the shots from behind, the camera was pretty far away from the action and we didn't realize at first. I originally wanted the shot to be really close, but I couldn't zoom very far without the quality seriously dropping. The quality is already worse in that scene only zooming a little. With the first half finally being patched up, all I needed to do for the second half was add a slow fade to the audio and video in the last 5 seconds. This second and final draft now felt complete to both of us.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filming: First Scene

Intro & Group Blog: Final Task

Creative Critical Reflection