Intro Blog

 Hello, I am Nicholas Arnold, an 11th grader who is currently in the middle of the first completely virtual media studies course in human history. I knew next to nothing about this class before joining it, and now that I know more about what we will be doing, I'm very excited but also worried. There seem to be some great opportunities ahead to express my creativity, and if something comes along that I am passionate about, I will go crazy and put full effort into it. Something I am excited about are these blogs, in which I can just write and write some more. I believe there will be prompts for these entries, so I hope each one could be as easy to write as this one feels like. But I feel like the creative expression I can use for this class could come with downsides, as I'm not really that keen on starting to work on filming in particular. From an outside perspective, not having made any films close to what we will be doing, it seems like a daunting task for someone not as socially inclined, and I don't think filming would get me going as much as writing or making music would. Nevertheless, I know I'll at least enjoy the analysis part of this class, as I have always loved analysis and especially in film. While the course seems like a mixed bag in terms of likes and dislikes, this was way better than expected for someone who didn't really know what they were getting themselves into when choosing classes.

 I don't know how much the course will rely on knowledge of past media and its production and release, but I haven't really watched much commercial media for a few years now. Not specifically because my household doesn't have a cable provider anymore, but I have stuck to watching YouTube videos in replacement for television and movies, and I am not in the know of recent shows or films that have come out over the past few years. I don't think it will be enough to hinder my ability to pick up on trends in films or anything like that, but I will have to rely mostly on the reviews I've watched for gaining information on film analysis (and of course this class). I do hope that the class could involve some of that, anything dealing with critique or review, as I would enjoy that very much too. Other than that, I will just have to wait and see what's in store this year. The class in the first 6 weeks has been really surprising me, with the sending a message project and now the blogspot series of entries. It could really continue to do so and so far, all the surprises have been welcome ones.


I was told to include a piece of media with that being the only guideline, so here is a gif that I particularly love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filming: First Scene

Intro & Group Blog: Final Task

Creative Critical Reflection